The Costers del Segre region covers land in the counties of El Pallars Jussà, El Segrià, L’Urgell, Les Garrigues, La Noguera and La Segarra. The region has seven sub-zones: Artesa de Segre, Les Garrigues, El Pallars, Raimat, Segrià, Les Valls del Riu Corb and L’Urgell.
The contrast in temperature of a continental climate is emphasised by high solar radiation and low rainfall. Each sub-zone has climatic and soil differences and landscapes with both mountains and plains.
Costers del Segre is characterised by its winemakers and first-rate, modern and innovative technology.
The reds are made with Cabernet Sauvignon, Pinot Noir, Merlot and Ull de Llebre or Tempranillo and prevail among the diverse wines made in this area. They are strong, balanced and well-structured.
Rosés, made with Ull de Llebre or Tempranillo, Merlot and Cabernet Sauvignon, are fresh and fruity.
The whites are either traditional and made with Macabeo, Xarel·lo and Parellada, or modern and made with Chardonnay, Sauvignon Blanc or Riesling. White grapes are also destined for making Cava.
- Registered vine growing area (ha): 4.694
- Vine growers: 601
- Bottling wineries: 38 (6 manufacture and 32 bottlers)
- Bottle production: 3,971,067
- Varieties of white grapes: Albarinyo, Chardonnay, Garnatxa blanca, Macabeu, Malvasia o Subirat parent, Moscatell de gra gros or d’Alexandria, Moscatell de gra petit, Parellada, Riesling, Sauvignon blanc and Gewürztraminer.
- Varieties of red grapes: Cabernet Sauvignon, Garnatxa negre, Mazuela or samsó, Merlot, Monastrell or garrut, Pinot noir, Syrah, Trepat and Ull de llebre.
Source: Government of Catalonia, INCAVI